CIDET participated in the seminar of the 11th Annual International Conference on Technology, Education and Development in Valencia, 6, 7 and 8 March 2017.
Education for adults and seniors improved by technology; social skills, dynamics and connections for a surprising learning experience
These special sessions were co-organized by the Center for Innovation and Development of Education and Technology, in Castellón, Spain. We offer these sessions in accordance with the strategic policy framework established in the European projects KA2 Erasmus + EHLSSA (http://ehlssa.odl.org/) and Ed-Way (http://www.ed-way.eu/) related with education favored by the use of new technologies.
We intend to show the results obtained in both projects in addition to the lessons we have gained in designing the virtual learning environments, the contents of the courses and the baking of badasad educational activities in information and communication tools for adult and senior citizens .
The use of virtual learning environments and ICT tools to achieve objectives related to teaching and learning has shown in recent years the great potential it has to facilitate the acquisition of skills, skills and attitudes that go beyond the mere transmission of knowledge. Therefore, we focus on the use of ICTs to learn the specific content of each course or subject (history, art, economics, business, society, science, etc.) while we encourage students to acquire transversal competences such as collaboration, creativity, abstraction, or the role of leadership in a group, and useful skills throughout life such as adaptation, positivism, motivation, mutual support, or self-identity.
The design of the course and of the learning environments should be directed to a specific group of students, in our case to adults and the elderly, so that the environment is simpler and more complete when it comes to favoring all their needs. Specifically this type of students with a lot of life experience and who, therefore, may prefer personal teaching, that is, face to face, teacher-student, that is why it is likely that they have prejudiced the concept of e-learning, or virtual learning . On the other hand, they tend to be people with an intrinsic motivation (without needing a university degree or job requirements) and their main objective to learn is the fact that they like it or have something fun.
The use of this double approach (focusing on the objectives of the course at the same time as the acquisition of transversal competences with the use of ICT tools) makes it possible to increase the motivation, interest and impact on the student, the group and the organization or society.
The benefits that were obtained in the participation to this session were the following:
- Understand and clarify the needs of the elderly in a learning context throughout life.
- Discover the social skills and competencies that can be enhanced through the use of ICT tools.
- How the use of technology and its application to the educational context can facilitate the learning of adult and elderly citizens.
- Learn from our experience in the participation of two European Erasmus + strategic projects. Demonstration of the results.
- Reflect and share with the session attendees the potentialities of technology, the use of virtual learning environments, and other work.
- Experiences in education: Education throughout life.
- Technological aspects in education: e-Learning
- Technological aspects in education: Learning Management Systems (LMS) – learning management systems
- Design and innovation of the curriculum: Strategies, principles and challenges.
- Teachers, teachers, tutors, and instructors who wish to use virtual learning environments to teach adults and seniors.
- Researchers in the field of e-learning and learning management systems (LMS)
- Content designers and course creators.
- Getting together life-skills and soft skills with digital skills; technology-enhanced education to adults.
- Senior citizens learning online; needs and expectations
- Teaching Information and communication technologies to senior citizens for and quality of life increase
- Outside the box informal learning through technology. Promoting an informal learning enhanced by technology; Ed-Way project
- Virtual on-line learning; the evolution and grow of senior citizens
- Personal and social mixing; putting in common individual and networked learning in virtual spaces